5 Questions to Ask a Potential Bookkeeper
- Experience: Ask about training and experience
- Skills: The candidate should be able to reconcile the bank, process payroll, handle your AP & AR, prepare mandatory remittances, generate reports and most importantly, be comfortable working with your acconting software.
- Experience in your industry: Ask if the candidate has experience in your industry. Someone with experience in construction may not be as well suited if your business is retail.
- Communication: You want a bookkeeper who will respond to your inquiries in a timely manner. Look for someone who engages with you regularly to review what is going on in your business.
- References: Ask for references and check them. Ask about the candidates skills, communication, accountability, commitment. If they will be working in your office with others, ask if they are a team player.